Vermont Maple Open House Weekend Truly an experience of everything maple!
Lunenburg 13th Maple Festival
Saturday, March 24
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Lunenburg Primary School (49 Bobbin Mill Road) will serve as the hub for the Festival from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.. There visitors can enjoy homemade meals, sign up for a free door prize, pick up a scavenger hunt, and a map and directions to the local sugarhouses that are open for visitors. Photographs, interactive displays, and local antique sugaring equipment chronicle all that goes into the sugaring process and the local families as they have carried on the tradition over generations.
As in past years, visitors will have the opportunity to cast their vote for the People’s Choice awards in the photo and quilt square contests, take chances on raffles, and purchase maple and Lunenburg theme products, including copies of A Wicked Good Run, Lunenburg T-shirts, and the Historical Society 2018 calendar.
At specific times during the day, these additional activities are available at the school and at nearby locations:
· From 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.: a pancake breakfast, including sausage, eggs, home fries, beverages and real maple syrup, will be offered by The Top of the Common Committee. $7 Adults/ $3.50 ages 12-4/ under age 4 FREE (Take-out available)
· 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.: rug hooking demo with the opportunity to try it yourself
· 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.: visit the new Lunenburg student-run sugaring operation in the school parking lot
10 a.m. - 3 p.m.: maple cotton candy for sale in the school parking lot
· 10:30 a.m.: the judging of the Maple-flavored Pie Contest will begin at the Pie Contest table. Whole pies and pieces will be available for purchase throughout the day, after the winners have been announced. ($2/piece, $8-$12/whole pies)
· From 10 a.. to 3 p.m.: visitors, with maps in hand, can take self-guided tours through the participating local sugarhouses to visit with sugarmakers, purchase maple syrup and, weather permitting, watch syrup being made. All within 3 miles of the school. The sugarhouses provide a representation of the diverse methods of fuel, sap collection, and product sales.
· Noon to 3 p.m.: enjoy a luncheon with choice of homemade soups, breads, beverage, and a dessert for $5, to benefit Lunenburg's Old Home Day
· At 11 a.m.: at a tapping demonstration on the Common, you can learn about backyard sugaring by seeing how to tap a tree and what makes the sap run. You may take home a UVM instructional handout for backyard sugaring.