Entries should be brought to the Lunenburg Primary School, 49 Bobbin Mill Road, off route 2 in the center of Lunenburg, the morning of the Festival. Judging will begin at approximately 10:30. The entrant need not be present. A first place prize will be awarded in each of the three pie categories – cream/custard, nut, and fruit – and of those three winners, a best of show entry will be chosen and awarded a grand prize.
There are a few “rules” to keep in mind as you prepare your special maple-flavored pie:
1. The contest is open to bakers of all ages with residence in any state, but please, only one entry per entrant.
2. Real maple syrup or real maple sugar needs to be one of the ingredients in the pie's recipe
3. The piecrust needs to be homemade.
4. The entry can be registered the day of the festival between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. at the pie registration table – please don't leave it with a Festival volunteer at another location. Earlier arrivals work best for all involved.
5. The bottom of non-disposable pie plates need to be marked with their owner's name and phone number, even if they will be picked up the day of the Festival.
6. The complete recipe used to make the pie is to be submitted at the time of registration, along with the baker's name, address and phone number.
7. The baker needs to classify his/her entry into one of the three following categories: cream/custard, nut, or fruit.
8. The judging will begin at approximately 10:30 a.m. The winner does not need to be present.
9. The pie becomes the property of the Top of the Common Committee, who will sell it whole or in pieces after the contest winners are announced.
10. The baker will be asked for permission to include their recipe in a future “Maple Pie Contest Recipes” booklet to benefit the Top of the Common Committee’s Restoration Projects.
If you have questions, please call Chris at 802-892-6654.